My favourite food is Potato Topped Quail Pie. I prefer this to Venison Eye Fillet, which is a big admission.
Quail breast meat or Pheasant breast meat
Change the vegetables to suit. The bacon is not necessary.
1. Roast the Quail or Pheasant and allow to cool
2. Shred the breast meat.
3. Blanch the carrots & peas & green pepper
4. Saute the leeks in butter
5. Cook the diced bacon and the diced onion
6. Dice mushrooms
7. Make a thick white sauce
8. Mix all ingredients above in a large bowl and transfer into a pie dish
9. Mash potatoes and cover the top of the pie
10. Cook at 180 for about 30 minutes until the top is golden brown
There are not many secrets to this pie. The biggest one is to pre cook all the vegetables (except mushrooms) as they will be crunchy if you put them raw into the pie.
I use six quail for this pie to serve four people, or four pheasant breasts but the quantities can be changed depending on how many birds you have available.